Friday, November 25, 2011

The Trials and Tribulations of the Laundry Process By Bridget Granger



I had never anticipated that the weather would dictate when I am able to do laundry. That is, until I came to Morocco. Many Moroccan families do not own washing machines and even fewer own dryers. With this past week being so rainy I was not able to wash my growing mountain of dirty clothes. Today was the first sunny day in a while so I figured I would not chance waiting until tomorrow. My family has an extremely tiny washing machine (if you can even call it that) on the roof which holds virtually nothing. I was forced to do two loads which took me over two and a half hours! The first step is filling the machine up with water and detergent. I then put my clothes in and the machine "swished" them around for about fifteen minutes. After going through the machine I had to put them in a bucket of clean water and wash them out for a second time to rinse the soap out. Finally, after the bucket washing I was able to hang them up on the laundry strings to dry. I think it's safe to say that us Americans are spoiled with our modern laundry washing ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment