Monday, January 9, 2012

Q&A; French & Arabic by Sarah


In the next couple of blogs, we'll be answering questions posted on Exchanges Connect (http://connect.state.gov/group/nsliy/forum/topics/morocco-q-a?commentId=2118480%3AComment%3A766290&xg_source=msg_com_gr_forum). Bismillah...
QUESTION:
Is your main focus Arabic or an even mix of that and French? --orange rhubarb

I was also wondering about the French; I speak French, and was wondering if that's as widely spoke as Arabic there, or if you felt like it was getting in the way of learning Arabic? - Diana

ANSWER:

                The NSLI-Y program focuses solely on Arabic, but if you want to improve your French while you’re here, it’s a great opportunity.   

                The vast majority of people here in Marrakech speak Darija (Moroccan Arabic) as their first language. Most people you meet will also have learned Fusha (classical Arabic—the language you’ll study) and French, with more or less proficiency and comfort. It varies a lot; my host mom, for example, speaks lovely Fusha, but only a bit of French. But I’ve met several people who say their French is better than their Fusha.  In my experience, quite a few people in Marrakech speak English, and a handful speaks Spanish.

As a white foreigner, I am usually addressed first in French. People are quite excited to find out that I study Arabic, but many are shy about their Fusha, which can make it hard to practice. For example, today we visited my host aunt. She talked to me me in Darija, and I answered in Fusha. When I couldn’t understand her Darija (it’s difficult since I don’t study it formally), my host dad translated into Fusha for me. Another time, I visited a friend of my host mom’s. Even though we explained that I didn’t know French, her automatic behavior was to talk to me in French. She would turn to me, begin a sentence in French, and then realize her mistake and switch to Arabic, time and time again.

Does French get in the way of learning Arabic? I’m sure it can, but I would worry more about English getting in the way. Because of the way the program is set up, the majority of people you meet will speak English. We study at a language center which primarily teaches English to Moroccans, and the host families all have at least one member studying there. The program is really terrific, and you’ll learn a lot (in sha allah) but it’s a far cry from immersion in Arabic. If you want to speak a lot Arabic outside the classroom, you’ll have to be pretty insistent—you’ll rarely be forced. I don’t speak French, so that hasn’t been a problem for me, but English certainly has. But if you’re clear about your language preferences, it should be fine. Just say, “I really want to learn Arabic, so I prefer that we speak it,” or something like that, and people are usually excited to help you.

I hope that was helpful; feel free to ask for any clarification. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment