Thursday, October 27, 2011

8 Questions For the Return by Charlotte B.

I know its a little bit early to start blogging about this, but I have been thinking about the transitions we are going to need to go through when we get back home. I came up with a list of 8 questions that we will face when we get back to our American lifestyles. Here they are:

1) Where are all the taxis?
We are going to have to drive ourselves places rather than rely on the help of a cab driver.

2) Why am I using a fork and spoon to eat this meal? Where is the bread?!
For my host family silverware equals bread, and at this point I am far more comfortable with edible cutlery.

3) Why do I have to read and write from left to right?
I was reading an English novel the other day and repeatedly read the same page over and over again because I was reading from right to left.

4) Wow, why is everyone dressed so provocatively?
Back in sunny New Mexico I am used to wearing shorts and tank tops, but because we have a dress code at the CLC and revealing clothing is reserved mostly for tourists and non Moroccans, I am now getting accustomed to covering my knees and shoulders.

5) Why do I have to wait for the signal at the crosswalk to cross the street?
One thing I have noticed while walking through the streets of Marrakesh is that, although there are signals in some places, most people cross the street at their own leisure and try not to get hit by moving vehicles.

6) Where is the sugar/bread/mint tea?
This is pretty self explanatory. Its pretty much impossible to go a day without eating these food items.

7) Why are we eating dinner so early?
In my host family, we eat dinner sometime between 9:30 and 11:30pm. I consider this pretty late.

8) Where are all the cats?
Cats are very abundant in Marrakesh and there seems to be more and more each day. Unless you really love cats and have a house full of them, cats are not as prominent in the U.S.


1 comment: