Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Moroccan Birthday, Yeah! by Charlotte Blair

      My birthday was last weekend and I didn't exactly know how I would feel because it was my first birthday away from home. I knew that I would miss being with my friends and family back in New Mexico and I knew for sure that I would miss my mother's homemade chocolate fudge cake-which is the best in the world! 
      I had predicted that my birthday in Morocco would be just like any other day and I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that it wasn't.A few days before my birthday, Emi and I shared a  birthday party with the group at Emi and Shannon's host house. There were so many wonderful surprises at this party and its really nice to know that when you need a little extra support, you have a whole community of people that you can rely on.
      On my actual birthday, I was laying on my bed, exhausted from playing pool and eating ice cream, when my host sister called us downstairs for diner. She led us to the bottom level of our house and when we walked through the door of our kitchen my host family, including my host mother and father, my two sisters, my three cousins, and my host aunt and uncle, began to sing "Happy Birthday" to me. Then they preceded to sing "Happy Birthday" in Arabic and in French. They set out a table full of goodies such as popcorn and licorice, and in the middle of the table sat my birthday cake. The cake was banana cream and was topped with real fruit and beautiful frosting sculpted roses. After we ate cake, my family, one by one, gave me gifts. Even my aunt, who I had only met a few times before, gave me a delicate, porcelain sifter. I was so touched by their gestures and I continue to be surprised by how generous and welcoming Moroccans are.
     

1 comment: