Sunday, October 9, 2011

My first experiences in Morocco...and what I learned!--Heather Jackson

Dear Reader,

After living in here in Morocco for approximately two weeks I would describe my experience thus far as being…exhilarating, overwhelming, intriguing, and probably most of all, a blessing.  But, before I tell you what I’ve learned here, I thought I’d give you a little background on myself.  
 I recently graduated from high school this past June and I come from a very suburban town in Virginia! I have a very close relationship with my family and I am a compulsive list maker.   You probably can’t imagine my level of excitement and anxiety during the weeks leading to my leaving the country.   To prepare myself for Morocco I must of read over a million travelers’ websites, skimmed multiple different blogs about Morocco, and scribbled hundreds of packing lists.  I wanted to be prepared, but I don’t think anything could prepare me or spoil my first impressions of this country!  So, I wanted to thank my family before I get to far ahead of myself for putting up with my frantic  behavior before my trip and the constant support they give me to pursue this opportunity for myself. 
As I mentioned earlier I am not a city girl!  So, going from good old Spotsylvania, Virginia to Marrakesh, Morocco was the first cultural difference that never crossed my mind when I was trying to imagine my new life here.  In the days following my arrival I learned how to take a TAXI ALL BY MYSELF.  Yes, this may sound elementary, but where I’m from there are no taxis.  In addition, I was directing taxi drivers in a language that I had very minimal experience in speaking.
The next overwhelming concept I encountered was learning how to use my right hand when eating.  I am naturally left handed and it never occurred to me that it would be considered insanitary in other cultures other than my own to eat with my left hand!  I continue to battle my brain to eat with my right hand to minimize any possible fo-pa that might occur during dinners with my family!  Although my host family is very understanding and sweet, so I don’t think they mind too much. 
It is no surprise that I have learned more about Moroccan culture and language from being here, but what I never expected to  learn was more about my own culture.  I always thought that I never had a “culture”.  I had this simple mindset that labeled myself as a patriotic “white” American girl .  Through all these little cultural interactions with my host family and some of my new Moroccan friends that I have come to realize (for the first time) that I do have a culture!  I am an American that loves to give hugs when I meet people, an American that drinks tea/coffee from a mug not a glass shot-like cup,  an American that eats sweets for dessert instead for a main course, and an American that loves to eat a classic pb&j sandwich instead of a dinner for lunch! I am exhilarated to experience new things, overwhelmed at times with speaking a new language, intrigued by Moroccan customs that Moroccan consider nothing, and blessed to have been chosen to wake up every morning and learn something new each day in this beautiful and new country for seven and a half months! 
With Love,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment