Sunday, October 23, 2011

Overcoming Sickness--Heather Jackson

Dear Reader,
Being sick and away from home is… never fun, but when you are surrounded by people that love you, you somehow know everything is going to be okay. 
Over this past week I have survived food poisoning (we think), a flu bug, and a terrible head cold.  The food poisoning unfortunately hit me on the five our drive back from the Atlas Mountains. But, after returning to Marrakesh, I was welcomed home and comforted right away by my host sisters and mom.  The next morning I awoke and was made some special soup for my stomach by my host mom,( which was the first meal I had eaten in over twenty-four hours.  Even though I wasn’t back to normal at this time I felt so much better because I was being taken care of and was with my family.  Throughout the course of the rest of the week I somehow managed to catch every virus in my path, but everything else seems like a “piece of cake/(pie)” to get through after feeling the effects of the food poisoning.  Even though I wasn’t at home in the States, I still felt safe and comforted.  I even received a  get well card from all my friends at the CLC, which just reminded me what an amazing support system I have here in my second home.
 Getting sick away from my mom and without tomato soup is always going to be a little difficult, but its possible to overcome with loving people around you. I truly believe I am stronger from having survived this last week! J
Love,
Heather Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment