Thursday, October 20, 2011

Eid Kabir Thieves?! by Sarah


I was stumbling into my outdoor sandals, ready to start the day, when my host mom stopped me with a flood of anxious words. My Darija is still poor, but I knew it was some kind of warning or prohibition, and it had something to do with the bus.

                “I don’t go by bus today?” I attempted in weak Darija.

                “La, la, take the bus, but don’t take a lot of money today. Just enough for the bus ride to school, and home, and food. And don’t take important documents.” (All this in Darija--it took quite a lot of charades to get “documents” across.)

                “Why?”

                “Eid Kabir is coming, and there are a lot of thieves on the bus. They want money to buy a sheep to—“ and an emphatic finger across the throat, signifying slaughter. “Fhemti? Fhemti mizyan?” Do you understand?

                “Naam, fhemt mizyan.”

                I was a little later to school than I had intended, but at least my wallet was safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment