Monday, October 10, 2011

Vive le Maroc! by Lilly Bork

                I dragged myself from my bed this morning after my alarm went off three times just because I was exhausted from all the chanting, screaming and walking I did last night after the soccer match. I would have to say that it was the best night I spent in Morocco so far. Since I wanted to be as spirited and blend in as much as possible, I wore my “I love Morocco” hat and my green t-shirt to a cafe to watch the match of Morocco vs. Tanzania. I was screaming “Maghrib!” the whole way while we were walking towards our destination. After spending 15 minutes in the hunnut, we finally got to the cafe that was packed with people and the only two colors we saw were green and red.
The thing I enjoyed the most while watching the match was not the actual game, but the audience around me. Whenever the Moroccan team was tempted to make a goal, everyone in the cafe reacted to it in their own way. Some of them would shout out “sir sir!” which means “go go!.” Or some would just stand up and hold their hands together, praying for their beloved team. And then others would clap their hands and yell off the top of their lungs. I of course went along with everyone else and just screamed as loud as I could. At one point, I turned around to reach for my bottle of water and just when I got hold of it, everyone in the cafe went wild. People were chanting, yelling, and hugging. That marked the first goal for Morocco.
The 15-minute half time during this match was nothing like the ones I’ve seen during American football games. Usually, that would be the time for me to buy some buffalo wings and a cup of soda. Here in Morocco, this is when you just dance and chant in the streets. People were playing drums; others were in circles dancing to the beat of others’ singing. Everyone was chanting something that I didn't understand really except for “ole Maghrib!”
 During the second half of the match, I was well prepared for the madness that I knew was coming. I found it fascinating that when Morocco scored for the third time, everyone just left the cafe and rushed to the streets. My roommate, Negina, my host sisters, and I went along and followed the Lebanese drummer that everyone seemed to flock towards. At that point, I felt the pride and patriotism within every single person around me.  As their fiery Moroccan blood ran through their veins and sweat covered their bodies, I knew I was surrounded by people who truly loved their country and soccer. There were strangers hugging each other, there were people holding up the Moroccan flag, and there were crazy boys climbing the street lamps. The cars were bumper to bumper with people yelling from inside and from on top too. I think the craziest thing I saw last night was the scene of a bus that was packed on the inside and on the top with around a hundred boys, chanting the national anthem and waving their flags. I had a little red flag with me and whenever mopeds or cars drove past me, we’d wave to each other and scream “Maghrib!.” Although my roommate and I are not Moroccan, at that point we were just excited to see everyone around us so happy and celebratory.  We just wanted to celebrate with them, it was all so contagious.
After last night I finally realized what my host brother in-law meant when he said, “soccer is the second religion in Morocco.” I loved the atmosphere, of how everyone was a family and celebrated their victory together. I didn't feel like a foreigner, a student, or a tourist. I was part of them, and I felt the pride and honor to be part of such an amazing night.

No comments:

Post a Comment