Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Just another example of Moroccan hospitality by Shannon

It has only been three weeks since we arrived in Morocco, yet I am anxious about leaving. In fact, a reoccurring conversation that my American roommate and I have showcases this theme. I think to myself, "How will I adjust back to my normal life, and how will I leave this beautiful place, knowing that a country thousands of miles away provides me meaningful language skills, cultural encounters, and loving people?" My only consoling idea is to enjoy every moment I have here. I study in between classes and electives, in the car, and after dinner and I'm still left wanting more.

 I was talking to one of my friends on this trip and we decided that balancing risks with rewards is the only sure way to get the full experience. So here's to using my Arabic when I'm nervous about my host-family's reaction. Here's to my random conversations with CLC staff members and random people on the street. And here's to my late-night study sessions when I want to sleep. 

Though I have many examples of love and support from the Moroccans I encounter, let me share my most recent experience. Two days ago, my roommate and I were walking to the gym after Arabic lessons. As we distanced ourselves from our school, a dirty man approached us. Sticking his hand out and getting uncomfortably close, he cussed in English at us as we forcefully responded "No" to his slurred Arabic. I wrapped my hand around my roommate's arm and directed us towards a group of Moroccans standing outside a business. Without a word, a man from the group grabbed a metal pole and started aggressively charging the dirty guy. I'm telling you, with no communication, this Moroccan took it upon himself to take care of us. Afterwards, we thanked him profusely. He waved the situation off modestly. 

If you have ever considered coming to Morocco, stop. Just get yourself on the next plane. Though the ticket will be pricey to come and leave, your cost of living will be significantly less. You will quickly make up the money as you spend very little on utilities and food. Then stop by the CLC and start learning Arabic. Better yet, sit in a cafe in the medina and listen to the conversations around you. Notice the gestures that they make, the phrases that they use, and the way they keep close to others of the same sex. They are such loving people. You will not regret it. Now go buy your plane ticket!

1 comment: