Friday, October 21, 2011

The American Reputation-Rachel

An aspect of Moroccan life that has been a big surprise to me is the extent of the American influence present in this country. It seems like all families have access to many American TV shows, movies, news magazines and music. I have been in countless situations where my host sister will know an American song, band or celebrity that I have not even heard of. While this can be a good thing and has provided many topics of conversation between my host sister and I, it can sometimes be an embarassment. In Islamic culture, men and women only date eachother if they are to be married, drinking is considered "unclean" and modest dress is encouraged, as it is disrespectful to oneself and others to show one's cleavage, midriff or upper thigh. In most American TV shows, movies or music that are shown abroad, sex, drugs and alcohol assume an extremely large role. As a result of the poor representation of Americans through countless movies, shows and even commercials in other nations, especially Islamic countries, Americans have acquired somewhat of a negative reputation abroad. Even in Brazil, where I grew up, Americans are sometimes viewed as people who could not care less about the world around them, hook up with a different person every night, have little self respect, only care about money and drown themselves in drugs and alcohol. I understand why residents of other countries see Americans in that light, but I know for a fact that is not true and make an effort to let people from other countries see how "real" Americans act and think. NSLI-Y is the perfect opportunity for American to be represented correctly in foreign countries and correct the misconceptions that the media has established. Just the other day, I met a Moroccan women in the gym who spoke excellent English and we began talking. After ten minutes of conversation about religion, politics and marriage (no topic of conversation is off limits to Moroccans), she stopped me in midsentance, and exclaimed in surprise, "Wait! You are not English??!!" "No", I said,"I am American". The woman's eyes then widened in surprise as she leaned close to me and practically whispered, "But you are nice". The woman's discovery that Americans can be nice is only one opportunity I have had to correct misconceptions that American media has established about Americans in other countries. I am very greatful for a chance to redeem the American reputation and am proud to assist in building bridges of understanding between Americans and Moroccans.

No comments:

Post a Comment